Podcast: Employment tribunals - the state of play
The introduction of employment tribunal fees has had a major impact on employment tribunal claims. We discuss the latest figures for tribunal claims and look forward to the future of employment tribunals, including plans to make all first-instance tribunal decisions available online and the possibility that employment tribunals will be replaced by an Employment and Equalities Court within the civil court structure. We also examine why the long delays in employment cases being heard in the Court of Appeal matter for employers.
The timestamps below will help you to navigate to issues on employment tribunals discussed in this podcast, including:
- the number of employment tribunal claims and award levels [00:56];
- Unison's legal challenge to tribunal fees [03:04];
- plans to put first-instance tribunal decisions online [04:40];
- suggestions in Lord Justice Briggs' "Civil courts structure review" for major changes to employment tribunals [07:57]; and
- the impact on employment cases of delays in Court of Appeal hearings [09:58].
In addition to listening to the audio, you can download the podcast transcript.
Presenter Ellie Gelder is joined by Stephen Simpson. Edited and produced by Clare Allerton.
All change for employment tribunals?
23 September 2016