Employers are already preparing for the new pension auto-enrolment rules, which will start to affect the largest employers from October this year. The top ten FAQs on XpertHR for March 2012 include a couple of questions on auto-enrolment, as well as an FAQ on how the increase to the unfair dismissal qualifying period, which takes place on 6 April 2012, will work in practice.
Other questions in the top ten look at redundancy selection pools, time off for antenatal care and variation of contractual hours.
- When does auto-enrolment come into force?
- Does the April 2012 increase in the qualifying period for unfair dismissal claims from one to two years apply retrospectively?
- Can an employer change an employee's hours where there is no contractual clause authorising it to do so?
- What changes to workplace pension law will be made by the legislation on auto-enrolment?
- If an employee has a really bad attitude, is this a conduct or capability issue?
- In which redundancy situations will it not be necessary to determine a redundancy selection pool?
- Can an employer dismiss an employee because he or she is in prison?
- What rights do employees have in relation to time off work for antenatal care?
- If an employer pays an employee in lieu of notice, is the payment taxable?
- Can the transferee change the contracts of the incoming employees upon the transfer of a business covered by TUPE?