I think they should be getting on with the task of creating more of those jobs and more of those exports, rather than complaining about it. There's only one growth strategy - work hard! And do more with less - that's the 21st century.How is HR bearing up in the age of austerity?
So if were to take "do more with less" as the abiding lesson for UK employers in the age of austerity, where would that leave HR?
And just how is HR coping with the challenges posed by the age of austerity?
XpertHR's 10th annual benchmarking survey of HR roles and responsibilities provides insights into the work, composition and performance of UK HR departments in 2012, and is based on responses from 334 organisations with a combined workforce of 360,604 employees.
The survey suggests that UK HR departments are indeed having to do more with less... but also finds that they are rising to the occasion.
HR activities budgets are shrinking in 2012
Nearly three in 10 respondents to the survey reported that their organisation's HR activities budget (which includes all HR department running costs plus recruitment, training and other HR activities, but excludes budget for employee salaries other than HR staff) has decreased over the past two years (XpertHR Benchmarking subscription required).
In contrast, fewer than one quarter say it has increased, while one in five reports no change.
All this week, we'll be highlighting findings from this survey here on the Employment Intelligence blog.
You can get a taste of some of the key findings of the survey here.
These are among the key findings of XpertHR's 10th annual benchmarking survey of HR roles and responsibilities, based on responses from 334 organisations with a combined workforce of 360,604 employees.
XpertHR Benchmarking subscribers can access the results data from this survey in the following ways:
- HR Roles and Responsibilities 2011/2012 Drill down into the complete results data.
- 10 years of HR roles and responsibilities Complete the form to download XpertHR's special benchmarking report on how the HR function has changed over the past decade.
- XpertHR HR Department Benchmarker Answer the questions in XpertHR's HR department benchmarker to see how your organisation's HR department measures up.
- HR roles and responsibilities: The 2012 XpertHR survey XpertHR's detailed written analysis of the latest HR roles and responsibilities survey findings.
- The shrinking HR department An overview of some of the key findings of this survey.