The survey provides detailed insight into recent and anticipated changes in learning and development budget levels.
How learning & development budgets have changed over the past 12 months
So how have learning and development budgets changed over the past 12 months?
- Across the whole economy, nearly two-fifths of organisations say their learning and development budget has remained unchanged over the past year. A further three in ten report a decrease, while one in four says it has increased.
- More than half of respondents from the public sector report a decrease, while three in ten have seen their learning and development budget frozen.
Looking ahead, a minority of respondents expect an increase to their organisation's learning and development budget over the coming year:
- Across the whole economy, just under half of all employers predict that their learning and development budget will be frozen over the coming year.
- Nearly half of respondents in the public sector expect that their learning and development budget will be cut over the coming year.
Faced with the above challenges, a majority of employers are exploring cost-neutral options for delivering learning and development to employees.
On-the-job help from colleagues is by far the most widespread cost-neutral training option. The next most popular options are secondments and work shadowing.
How to access XpertHR Benchmarking data on learning & development budgets in 2012
XpertHR's 2012 benchmarking survey of learning and development budgets is based on responses from 74 organisations with a combined workforce of 410,027 employees.
Subscribers to XpertHR Benchmarking can drill down into the complete results data from this survey to generate bespoke reports on how their organisation compares.
You can access XpertHR benchmarking data on key recruitment metrics in 2012 in the following ways:
- Learning and Development Budgets 2012 Subscribers to XpertHR Benchmarking can drill down into the complete results data from this survey and generate bespoke reports on how their organisation compares.
- Benchmarking learning and development budgets in 2012 Read more.
- Balancing Cost and Efficiency in Learning and Development Budgets: The 2012 XpertHR Survey and Size and Scope of Learning and Development Budgets: The 2012 XpertHR Survey Read XpertHR's detailed written analyses of the survey findings.