Who are the global voices of HR in 2013?

Earthheart square

Who do you consider to be the global voices of HR in 2013?

Which HR Twitter types really speak to you, and help define what the profession is and where it’s going?

I’m looking to compile the ultimate global HR Twitter list for 2013 and beyond, to share with and help connect the global HR Twitter community.

Please get in touch with details of who you’d like to see included on this list!

Who are the global voices of HR in 2013? The ultimate #ff for global HR!

If you’re in HR and are thinking of taking the plunge into social media in 2013, Twitter is a great route into social media for HR, as this post from Sarah Miller explains.

XpertHR’s beginner’s guide to Twitter for HR is designed to help you get started!

There is a growing global HR Twitter community out there, communicating with each other around the clock and across international boundaries.

Top US HR blogger Robin Schooling argues that it is essential that HR professionals assume a global perspective in 2013 and beyond. Social media make this easy. As Robin says:

Connectivity across the globe, even if not a typical part of the day-to-day for a Human Resources professional, is amazingly easy to do via social media and online channels.

But what’s the best way to tap into and become a part of this global HR community via Twitter?

I thought it’d be interesting to start a Twitter list of the global voices of HR in 2013, and ask XpertHR readers for their recommendations!

Here’s how you can follow the global voices of HR.

To kick things off, this Twitter list comprises a personal selection of 26 of the best, most distinctive and most informative voices/commentators/bloggers/tweeters operating in the HR space in 2013. The list comprises 13 women and 13 men.

But this is just the beginning of the global voices of HR Twitter list. I need your help to make this list work and grow!

Who would you like to see added to this list?

Please do get in touch with your recommendations, and I will add them to the Global voices of HR Twitter list! For those already familiar with Twitter, look at this as the ultimate global #ff for HR!

Please share your recommendations via the comments box below, or get in touch via Twitter (feel free to use the #gvhr13 hashtag, if you like!), LinkedIn or Google+.

There are just three simple rules here:

1. You can’t nominate yourself
  2. You can’t nominate your company
  3. You can’t nominate your colleagues

Global voices of HR: The Twitter list!

Here are the 26 global voices of HR that I’ve included in the initial list,

presented in alphabetical order by surname with a link to each person’s Twitter account and to their blog (if they blog).

These are voices of HR – 13 women and 13 men whose words of wisdom help define where HR is and set the agenda for where it’s going.

These are people whose words of wisdom I always watch out for.

I consider each of these people eminently worthy of being considered a voice of HR for 2013 – just follow each one on Twitter (or follow all of them at the same time by clicking on this Twitter list) or check out their blogs to ‘hear’ what they have to say!

The Global Voices of HR: The initial list for 2013 and beyond!

Sabrina Baker

Laurie Ruettimann

Robin Schooling

Doug Shaw

Bonni Titgemeyer

Janine Truitt

Karin Wills

Follow the global voices of HR:

UPDATE 1 (Friday 4 January 2013): Compiling the global voices of HR list!

[View the story "Compiling the global voices of #HR list! #GVHR13" on Storify]

UPDATE 2 (Monday 7 January 2013): The HR Ringleader shares her recommendations!

I’m delighted to report that the lovely Trish McFarlane (author of the superb HR Ringleader blog) has very kindly shared her recommendations for the #GVHR13 list, via a comment on the related Storify story. Here’s what Trish has to say:

“Michael- great start to the list. I see many I’m not familiar with. I would add @jasonlauritsen @joegerstandt and @incentintel @frankzupan @steveboese to the list. Read them EVERY day and use their guidance at work.”

TrishGVHR13Comment.JPGExcellent recommendations, Trish! All are now a part of #GVHR13. Thank you.

UPDATE 3 (Monday 14 January 2013): Global Voices of HR list grows to 277 members! But more always welcome…

I’m delighted to report that in just over a week and a half, the Global Voices of HR Twitter list has shown incredible growth. Thanks to all the great recommendations from XpertHR readers out there in the Twitterverse, this list is now 10 times bigger than it started.

We began with 26 global voices of HR. As of right now, there are 277, from all corners of the world!

The latest additions come from Sandrine Bardot of Abu Dhabi, UAE (aka @compinsider on Twitter, via her comment below) and from Iva Nachkova of Bulgaria (aka @ivanachkova on Twitter, via a LinkedIn message).

Here are Iva’s recommendations: “I see you have added Neil Morrison and China Gorman to the list but I suggest that you also add Broc Edwards because I believe his blog is quite interesting with a lot of HR materials and how to help people perform at their full potential.”

Thank you so much, Iva – and I’m pleased to report that Broc is now part of the Global Voices of HR list!

If anyone else out there wishes to share their recommendations for the Global Voices of HR list, please don’t hesitate to get in touch!

Read more about HR and social media:

XpertHR FAQs on social media use:

XpertHR model policies on social media

(XpertHR subscription required)

, , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Who are the global voices of HR in 2013?

1. Naomi Bloom 4 January 2013 at 1:33 pm #

Michael, I’m truly honored to be included and will do my best to live up to the standard set by so many on this amazing list. Have a great 2013, and perhaps I’ll see you at European HR Tech? I’ve committed to doing a keynote in Amsterdam in late October and another “surprise” session.

2. Michael Carty
    Michael Carty 4 January 2013 at 1:49 pm #

Naomi, it’s my pleasure and privilege to include you on this list!

I hope 2013 is off to a great start for you, and I will see if I can make it to HR Tech Europe this year. It’d be great to meet you at last, and the “surprise” session sounds particularly intriguing!

3. Steve Browne 4 January 2013 at 1:54 pm #

Michael – 1st and foremost, thank you for even including me. Humbled to say the least.

Secondly, I love the fact that you’re being so intentional in striving to bring us together globally !! It rocks !!

I would have to add: Gareth Jones (@garelaos), Mervyn Dinnen (@mervyndinnen), Tim Baker (@TimBakerHR), Jeff Waldman (@JeffWaldmanHR), Pamela Ross (@pamelamaeross), Bill Boorman (@BillBoorman), Jon Ingham (@joningham), David Kovacovich (@davidkovacovich), Jennifer McClure (@JenniferMcClure), Matthew Stollak (@akaBruno) and Paul Hebert (@IncentIntel).

I could go on, but these folks work across platforms, forums and are also moving the HR profession forward !! Can’t wait to see the list grow !!!

Steve

4. Michael Carty
    Michael Carty 4 January 2013 at 2:47 pm #

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, Steve… and there was no way I could do a “global voices of HR” list without you!

I’ve now added all your recommendations to the list.

I’m delighted with how well this list is going so far! Having started off with 26 names this morning, we’re now up to 228 as I type…and I hope that the list will continue to grow.

I do hope that this list can go some small way towards helping bring the global HR community together.

5. Tim Baker 4 January 2013 at 6:29 pm #

Michael – I see that Steve Browne suggested Pam Ross (@pamelamaeross) for the list…agreed! But, alond side of Pam should be Christine McLeod (@impactresults). The two of them are re-defining SocialHR and SocialBiz with #Impact99 (www.impact99.ca)

6. Michael Carty
    Michael Carty 5 January 2013 at 6:45 am #

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, Tim, and for sharing two such excellent recommendations for the #GVHR13 list!

I have now added both to the #GVHR13 Twitter list. Thank you, sir!

7. Sandrine Bardot - Compensation Insider 12 January 2013 at 7:48 am #

As Compensation expert based in the UAE,here are a few names I think have not been mentioned yet in the list above :
    Dan Walter (@Performensation)
    Ann Bares (@AnnBares)
    Cole Nussbaumer (@StoryWithData)

As a member of the HR profession :
    Nicole Le Maire (@NicoleLeMaire)
    Women of HR (@WomenOfHR)
    Toolbox for HR (@toolboxforHR)
    Cathy Missildine (@CathyMissildine)
    Jilyan French-Vitet (@JilyanFrench)
    Bill Kutik (@BillKutik)

Of course, Derek Irvine (@DerekIrvine), Paul Hebert (@IncentIntel), Jon Ingham (@JonIngham), Steve Boese (@SteveBoese)…

Thanks for compiling !
    Sandrine

8. Michael Carty
    Michael Carty 14 January 2013 at 9:07 am #

Thank you for the great set of recommendations, Sandrine!

I’ve updated the list with all but one of them – unfortunately @jilyanfrench doesn’t seem to be the correct Twitter ‘handle’ for Jilyan French-Vitet. Would you have any idea what the correct Twitter ID for her would be, please?

I really appreciate your taking the time to share this great selection of people here – and please don’t hesitate to recommend anybody else that you consider one of the global voices of HR!

9. Dean Royles 14 January 2013 at 6:03 pm #

Thanks for including me on the list. Very kind and much appreciated! Who on twitter speaks to me? Well it’s folk who keep me up to date, provide updates and links to articles and news, interact and make me want to open their blogs. So in addition to the great recommendations you have, I’d go for @perrytimms , @alisonchisnell and I hope this doesn’t sound sycophantic (!) and I know probably against the rules but I would have to add @MJCarty. Cheers!

10. Sandrine Bardot - Compensation Insider 15 January 2013 at 2:48 am #

Sorry for the typo Michael, I forgot one “L” in her name… Jillyan French is @JillyanFrench

11. Nicole Le Maire 15 January 2013 at 6:33 am #

Just a thank you to both Michael and Sandrine for putting me forward as a Global Voice of HR. 2012 has been a great twitter year and look forward to 2013 with a lot more HR specific tweets and blog posts from another part of the world.

12. Michael Carty
    Michael Carty 15 January 2013 at 10:45 am #

Thank you for this latest batch of comments!

@Dean: That’s a great definition of who on Twitter “speaks” to you! And I fully agree that Alison and Perry are excellent individuals who are fully worth of their inclusion on the #GVHR13 list! You are much, much too generous in nominating me. I could not possibly include myself in this list, but it is hugely appreciated that you would nominate me. Thank you!

@Sandrine: Thank you so much for this! I have now added Jillyan to the #GVHR13 list!

@Nicole: No problem! Who might you like to see added to the list?

13. Bashir 14 November 2013 at 12:42 pm #

First, let me congratulate the people who have made the list. For Michael Carty whose brainchild this is, thank you for your efforts in promoting HR.

However, I must add that the list should reflect a global outlook in the true sense of the world. Having a list of HR professionals from the USA and UK and then calling it ‘Global’ is not it. We should extend our searchlight to Africa, Australia, Asia and other places around the world.

Thank you.

• Michael Carty
      Michael Carty 14 November 2013 at 2:52 pm #

Thank you for your comment, sir – it is hugely appreciated.

The aim of the list is indeed to be truly global. I believe that the initial list of 26 people represents a very geographically diverse selection of individuals.

However, I agree that it would be great for the list to be still more international/ global in its composition.

If you follow the link to the crowd-sourced Global Voices of HR Twitter list, you will see that it comprises well over 400 great individuals from around the world (with a particular preponderance from India).

I would very much like to expand the list still further.

So I would like to invite you – and anybody else reading this – to submit your own picks of the global voices of HR, and I will gladly add them to the list!

Thank you once again for taking the time to comment here, sir – hugely appreciated!