Basic pay and benefits: health (England and Wales)
Updating author: Julie Steele.
- Details of pay awards and pay rates in England are available on the NHS Employers website and from the Department of Health. Details of pay awards and pay rates in Wales are available on the NHS Wales website. (See Pay awards and pay rates)
- Terms and conditions relating to pay are set out in the various handbooks. (See Terms and conditions relating to pay - Agenda for Change; Terms and conditions relating to pay - consultants; Terms and conditions relating to pay - NHS medical and dental staff; Terms and conditions relating to pay - specialty and associate specialist doctors; and Terms and conditions relating to pay - very senior managers)
- Monitor and the NHS Trust Development Authority (TDA) have introduced a cap on the amount of money that NHS providers can pay per hour for agency staff. (See Pay caps for NHS agency workers)
- Provisions relating to expenses are covered in the various terms and conditions of service. (See Expenses)
- Pay review bodies monitor pay, invite submissions from interested parties, and make recommendations on future awards. (See Pay review bodies)
- The NHS Staff Council maintains the operation of the Agenda for Change pay system. (See NHS Staff Council)