What can be categorised as a trade dispute?
For industrial action to be lawful, it must be done in contemplation or furtherance of a trade dispute. Matters specified as a trade dispute are:
- terms and conditions of employment (including physical conditions of work);
- engagement, non-engagement, termination or suspension of employment of workers;
- allocation of work or duties between workers;
- disciplinary issues;
- membership or non-membership of the union;
- facilities for union officials; and
- machinery for negotiation and consultation.