How to choose the right level of private medical care
Author: Louis Wustemann
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Decide whether private medical insurance is to be used primarily as an employee benefit or also to help manage absence.
- For benefits purposes, assess which staff should qualify for private medical insurance cover by benchmarking against practice in the relevant sector and region.
- Consider whether employee-only or family cover is appropriate.
- Decide whether to specify any restrictions on cover or any contributions from employees to restrict costs.
- Where private medical insurance is used for attendance management, consider appointing a "gatekeeper" to manage claims.
- Examine which types of specialist care should be included to help cut absence rates.
- When considering including private medical insurance in a flexible benefits package be aware of the possible negative impact on premiums.