How to design and analyse separation questionnaires
Author: Claire Watt
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below:
- Be aware that an employee's formally stated reason for resigning may not provide a complete account of why he or she is leaving.
- Ensure that separation questionnaires are designed to maximise the response rate and to gather accurate and relevant data.
- Decide whether the questionnaire will be administered on paper and/or online.
- Pilot a questionnaire on a small sample of employees before rolling it out to all leavers.
- Ensure that the analysis of questionnaires follows three key steps, including looking for possible relationships between the responses.
- Check whether or not there are labour turnover statistics that can be used in conjunction with the separation questionnaire data to provide an in-depth picture of labour turnover trends.
- Ensure that the information collected from separation questionnaires supports a systematic and strategic approach to managing labour turnover.