How to handle a situation where employees refuse to work with a colleague
Author: Claire Birkinshaw
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Investigate the reasons behind the breakdown in relations and take whatever action is necessary to alleviate the situation.
- Consider disciplinary action where appropriate.
- Where the breakdown is irreversible and employees are applying pressure to dismiss, consider a dismissal on the ground of "some other substantial reason".
- Where the problem relates to an individual being HIV positive, allay staff fears through consultation and education.
- Bear in mind that pressure from staff in the form of a strike or other industrial action cannot be taken into account when the fairness of a subsequent dismissal is assessed.