How to manage and conduct return-to-work interviews
Author: Claire Watt
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Be aware that return-to-work interviews are one of the main tools used in the effective management of sickness absence.
- Take into account that return-to-work interviews have slightly different roles for short-term and long-term sickness absences.
- Decide how return-to-work interviews fit into the organisation's absence management policy.
- Ensure that the individuals who will conduct the interviews have the appropriate skills to do so, providing training where relevant.
- In the case of short-term absence, ensure that the employee is invited to the interview promptly on his or her return from sickness absence. In the case of long-term absence, it will usually be appropriate to arrange the interview for prior to the actual return to work.
- Ensure that the person conducting the interview has prepared for the meeting by gathering all the information that he or she requires.
- Ensure that return-to-work interviews are conducted in an appropriate manner.
- Decide whether or not any action is required as a result of the interview.