How to manage the cost of private health insurance
Author: Louis Wustemann
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Consider changing to a different private medical insurance provider to contain costs only if evidence shows that other firms charge less for exactly the same level of service and volume of claims.
- If records show a high level of very small claims, consider introducing an excess charge.
- Take into account that offering employees the option of a cash payment if they opt for National Health Service care instead of private treatment may reduce claims for non-urgent procedures.
- Investigate the possibility of utilising network plans, which offer discounted premiums for access to a restricted number of hospitals.
- Consider using a managed care plan to promote low-cost medical interventions.
- Look at adopting an integrated approach combining occupational health provision and insured benefits to reduce absence levels and cut private medical insurance claims.