How to measure and report a gender pay gap
Author: Mark Crail
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Understand what the gender pay gap is, and the factors that can influence it - and appreciate that most organisations will have a gender pay gap.
- Be aware of the background to the introduction of gender pay gap reporting.
- Ensure that you know which gender pay gap data you will need to report.
- Compile the data you will need to meet the legal requirements.
- Calculate the organisation's mean gender pay gap.
- Calculate the organisation's median gender pay gap.
- Calculate the organisation's gender bonus gap and the proportion of men and women receiving bonus pay.
- Calculate the number of men and women in quartile pay bands.
- Be ready to report and explain your gender pay and gender bonus gaps.
- Take action now. Conduct a dry run to gain advance warning of the scale of the gender pay gap in your organisation, and give yourself a head start in considering how to tackle it.