Grievances: Deal with a formal grievance
When to use this grievances workflow
Use this grievances workflow to deal with a formal grievance in line with the "Acas code of practice on disciplinary and grievance procedures"; inviting the employee to a meeting to discuss his or her grievance and offering the right of appeal against your decision.
While any failure to follow the code is not actionable in itself, an employment tribunal hearing a relevant case will take the code into account, and may increase any compensation awarded by up to 25% where the employer has unreasonably failed to comply with it.
- Investigate the grievance
- Invite the employee to a grievance meeting
- Inform the employee of the outcome of the grievance and right of appeal
Key "What if?..." events
- What if? … the employee fails to attend a meeting under the grievance procedure
- What if? ... the employee raises a grievance during the disciplinary process