Podcast: Introduction to the General Data Protection Regulation
In this week's feature-length podcast, Sarah Thompson, employment lawyer and Certified Information Privacy Professional, explains the key features of the General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679 EU) (GDPR) and guides employers through the practical steps that they will need to take to ensure compliance.
Although the GDPR does not come into effect until May 2018, the complexity of the changes and size of potential fines for non-compliance - up to €20 million or 4% of worldwide annual turnover, whichever is higher - mean employers should start compliance efforts early.
This week's podcast covers:
- changes to employee consent and privacy notices under the GDPR [05:50];
- responding to subject access requests [11:27];
- data transfers outside of the EEA [12:48];
- application of the GDPR to data processors [14:50]; and
- responding to data breaches [15:44].
Presenter Laura Merrylees is joined by Sarah Thompson. Edited and produced by Claire Scullin.