Podcast: What do the recent cases on worker status mean for employers?
We discuss the reasons behind the decisions in Uber, CitySprint and Pimlico Plumbers and explore the factors that employers may wish to consider where they are engaging individuals on a self-employed basis. In particular, we cover:
- the significance of the gig economy;
- the rights of workers compared with the rights of employees and self-employed contractors;
- in relation to the Uber, CitySprint and Pimlico Plumbers cases:
- the contrast between contractual terms and the reality of the working relationships;
- the individuals' rights of substitution; and
- the companies' degree of control;
- practical steps for companies engaging self-employed contractors;
- cases in the pipeline; and
- the Taylor review.
Presenter Laura Merrylees is joined by Fiona Rushforth, senior associate at law firm Wedlake Bell. Edited and produced by Laura Kimpton.
What do the recent cases on worker status mean for employers?
17 March 2017