Disability: Updated good practice guidance
We have updated our good practice guide on disability to reflect current terminology and provide additional guidance for employers on adopting an inclusive approach towards candidates and employees with disabilities. We have also included relevant information on complying with the General Data Protection Regulation (2016/679 EU) (GDPR).
Stages of the employment life cycle on which we have provided enhanced good practice guidance include:
- job advertisements, including how to describe the role;
- interview preparation, to ensure interviewers are prepared to respond inclusively in the event that a candidate arrives for a selection process with a disability-related need;
- the interview, including guidance around asking about an intrinsic function of the role;
- training for line managers to help them become disability confident;
- disability-focused employee networks;
- career development, including ensuring that staff with disabilities have effective career development opportunities;
- reasonable adjustments, to help employers understand how to remove barriers for people with disabilities; and
- monitoring the experience of candidates with disabilities.