New model policies on sabbaticals and career breaks
XpertHR's Policies and documents tool has been improved with new versions of our example policies on sabbaticals and career breaks. They are accompanied by model contract clauses and letters.
What should the policies cover?
- Length of breaks
- Procedure for requests
- Terms and conditions during breaks
- Returning to work after the break
See also our task Establish policies on sabbaticals and career breaks.
- Sabbatical leave policy
- Sabbatical leave contract clause
- Letter confirming a sabbatical
- Letter declining a sabbatical
- Career breaks policy
- Career breaks contract clause
- Letter confirming a career break
- Letter declining a career break
Did you know?
There is no legal definition of a "sabbatical" or a "career break". However, Acas guidance states that sabbaticals "are normally a shorter period of time" than career breaks.
Our model documents uses the example of a "sabbatical" constituting a period of at least one month and no more than 12 months and a "career break" constituting a period of over 12 months.