Severe weather can disrupt business operations and affect employees commuting to or from work or travelling for work-related reasons. Employers should consider providing instructions to employees in advance on what steps they are expected to take in case of severe weather and any options available, such as working from home, making up time at a later date or taking leave. Having a severe weather policy in place can help your organisation to manage the situation effectively.
Policies and documents
- Can employees be required to work from home if the transport system is disrupted?
- Is an employer required to pay employees who arrive late or do not arrive at all due to disruptions to public transport?
- If an employer closes its business because disrupted public transport prevents employees from attending work does it have to pay its employees?
- If an employee has a child at a school or nursery that is closed due to, for example, severe weather or pandemic flu, must the employee be given time off if he or she cannot arrange childcare?
- Is an employer required to pay employees who cannot make it into work because of severe weather conditions?