Can an employer be ordered by law to deduct wages from an employee?

Yes, an employer can be legally obliged to make a deduction directly from an employee's wages if the employee is subject to a court order to pay money, for example a county court judgment or unpaid maintenance payments. The court will make an attachment of earnings order if it believes that the employee has failed or is likely to fail to pay the sums due through other means.

Employers can also be ordered to deduct money directly from wages for child support payments and overpaid benefits. Deductions from employees' net pay are legally enforceable under a Debt Arrangement Scheme for those habitually resident in Scotland. An employer must make student loan deductions when authorised to do so by an approved HM Revenue & Customs form or communication.