Can an employer derecognise an independent union?

If the employer voluntarily recognises a union, it can derecognise it at any time. A compulsory recognition agreement set up following application to the Central Arbitration Committee (CAC) cannot be terminated by the employer for at least three years. However, in the event that circumstances change during the three-year period, the employer can apply to the CAC to end the collective bargaining arrangements.