Do employers have to provide facilities to enable union representatives to carry out their union duties?

Employers must provide facilities for union representatives where the duties that they are carrying out are concerned with collective redundancies or TUPE transfers. There is no legal obligation for the employer to provide facilities for other types of union duties.

However, the Acas code of practice on time off for trade union duties and activities recommends that employers should provide facilities to allow union representatives to conduct their duties efficiently and effectively. Access to facilities, for example meeting rooms and printers, and workplace communications, such as email or noticeboards, is likely to allow representatives to complete their duties more quickly and to keep relations between the employer and the union amicable.