What happens if an employer makes an unlawful deduction of wages from an employee?

A worker who has suffered an unlawful deduction from their wages may bring a claim to an employment tribunal to recover the sums that have been deducted. If an employer is required by an employment tribunal to repay sums unlawfully deducted from a worker's wages, it will not be able to recover those sums by any other means, eg through the county courts, even if they are properly due to the employer.