Will a case of alleged discrimination have to go to an employment tribunal?

Official complaints of discrimination can be made only to the employment tribunal. However, before a prospective claimant can submit a claim to the tribunal, they must contact Acas and, if both parties agree, Acas will begin the early conciliation process.

If a settlement is reached through Acas conciliation, either before or after a claim has been submitted, it will be recorded in writing with the use of the Acas COT3 form. As an alternative to using Acas, a binding settlement can be reached by setting up a valid settlement agreement, or by a tribunal order dismissing the case on terms agreed by the parties.