How to comply with the smoke-free legislation
Author: Tina Jones
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Bear in mind the reasons behind the smoke-free legislation.
- Determine if your premises are required to be smoke free, taking into account that there are only a few exemptions.
- If your premises are exempt, ensure that any designated smoking rooms meet the requirements set out in the legislation.
- Determine if your work vehicles and company cars are required to be smoke free.
- Display no-smoking signs in smoke-free premises and vehicles.
- Be aware of the offences under the smoke-free legislation and the penalties.
- Consider all the issues before erecting a smoking shelter.
- Develop a written policy on smoking in the workplace.
- Write a procedure for dealing with individuals who smoke in smoke-free premises and vehicles, and train staff to handle this situation.
- Consider offering support to employees to stop smoking.