How to deal with a secondment
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Decide whether a secondment arrangement will benefit your organisation.
- Ensure that the selection process for choosing a secondee is fair and transparent.
- If you are the original employer, establish whether the terms of a reluctant secondee's contract require them to accept a secondment arrangement.
- Put the secondment agreement in writing.
- Ensure that the secondee's ongoing employment with the original employer is clear.
- Agree and set out terms and arrangements relating to pay, annual leave, sickness absence and family leave.
- If you are the host employer, ensure that the secondee's obligation to comply with your instructions and policies is clear.
- Decide how to deal with appraisals, discipline and grievances.
- Put in place measures to protect your intellectual property and confidential information.
- Provide for how the secondment arrangement will end.