How to deal with employees on long-term sickness absence
Author: Claire Birkinshaw
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Check the contract of employment to ascertain what the employee should be paid during long-term incapacity.
- Maintain regular contact with the employee throughout the period of absence and ensure that they comply with the company's sickness absence reporting procedure.
- Obtain a medical report covering the nature of the employee's illness and the current medical position.
- Consider whether the employee's illness may amount to a disability within the meaning of the Equality Act 2010.
- Think about whether or not to offer a phased return to work and access to an employee assistance programme, where available, to provide support.
- If the employee returns to work, hold a return-to-work interview.
- Where dismissal is unavoidable, take care to follow the correct procedures and consider all the circumstances of the case.
- Take specific advice if the employee has the benefit of permanent health insurance cover.