How to deal with employment issues caused by severe weather or disruptions to public transport
Author: David Whincup
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Be aware that putting in place an "adverse weather" or similar policy should help to reduce scope for confusion.
- Consider whether it is necessary for employees to attend the workplace at their normal time or whether there are alternative ways of working.
- Consider how absences or lateness due to severe weather or transport disruptions will be treated.
- Be aware that employees who are absent from work without authorisation are not entitled to be paid, but consider taking a lenient approach.
- Investigate an employee's reasons for non-attendance before stopping their pay.
- Treat all employees consistently to avoid the risk of discrimination claims.
- Allow employees to take reasonable time off to make arrangements for childcare if schools or nurseries are closed due to severe weather.
- Remember the obligation to ensure the health, safety and welfare of employees while at work.