How to deal with issues arising from major sporting events
Author: Susie Munro
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Consider putting in place a policy on major sporting events.
- Be aware of the employee engagement opportunities arising from such events and consider whether or not it would be appropriate to allow employees to follow events during working hours.
- Ensure that competing requests for annual leave during the relevant period are dealt with fairly.
- Be aware of the potential for discrimination or harassment and take steps to avoid this.
- Put measures in place to avoid unauthorised absence and sickness absence that is not genuine.
- Ensure that employees are aware of the policy on internet use and how this will operate during the event.
- Remind employees of other relevant policies such as the policy on alcohol consumption.
- Consider what support can be provided to employees who wish to volunteer at a major sporting event.