How to deal with pregnant employees and those on maternity leave in a redundancy situation
Author: Clare McNicholas
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- When seeking to carry out redundancies be aware of the need to be particularly careful when dealing with pregnant employees and those on maternity leave.
- Ensure that any selection criteria are objective and non-discriminatory and that they are applied fairly.
- When carrying out consultation remember to include those on maternity leave.
- Offer any suitable vacancies to those employees on maternity leave.
- Consider whether an employee will be entitled to receive statutory maternity pay, even if she is made redundant before it becomes payable.
- Provide a written statement of reasons for dismissal without waiting for a request for one.