How to deal with the holiday entitlement of an employee taking adoption leave
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Recognise that annual leave rights are in addition to adoption leave and that adoption leave cannot be treated as annual leave.
- Be aware that you cannot pay employees in lieu of their statutory annual leave entitlement except on termination of the employment.
- Be aware that you have more freedom to deal with contractual annual leave in excess of the minimum statutory entitlement, with regard to, for example, paying in lieu.
- Ensure that employees do not lose out on their holiday entitlement if their adoption leave coincides with a workplace annual shutdown.
- Remember that statutory annual leave under the Working Time Regulations 1998 continues to accrue during adoption leave.
- Take into account that employees are entitled to the benefit of all their non-remuneration terms and conditions throughout adoption leave. This includes accrual of contractual holiday above the statutory minimum.
- Consider the allocation of annual leave as part of planning for adoption leave absences.
- Allow employees to carry forward their statutory holiday from one year to the next where they have been unable to take it due to being on adoption leave.