How to develop a workplace policy on domestic violence
Author: Louis Wustemann
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Be aware that, although there is no obligation on employers to take action in respect of domestic violence, it may be in both the organisation's and employees' interests to do so.
- Develop procedures to support victims of domestic violence either as a separate initiative or by strengthening the organisation's existing policies.
- Publicise the support available to employees.
- Make sure that there is a named individual, trained to offer appropriate support, to act as a confidential contact point for employees.
- Offer access to external counselling where needed.
- Make provisions for special leave for, and reduced demands on, employees suffering domestic violence.
- Strengthen arrangements for security in the workplace.