How to employ foreign students
Updating author: Naomi Goldshtein, Fragomen
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Be aware of the limitations on employing foreign students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA).
- Request documents evidencing foreign students' immigration permission and check if these give them a right to work in the UK, before they start employment.
- Ensure that non-EEA foreign students are not offered permanent full-time employment.
- Check the number of hours that a foreign student can work during term time and put measures in place to ensure that they do not work beyond this limit.
- Check if you are able to employ a student with immigration permission during vacation periods and while an application is pending for processing by the Home Office.
- Know the penalties for employing foreign students in breach of their UK immigration permission.
- Understand the specific restrictions on a foreign student's right to work and undertake work placements.