How to employ international students
Updating author: Jenna Linney, Fragomen
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Be aware of the limitations on employing international students.
- Request documents evidencing international students' immigration permission and check if these give them a right to work in the UK, before they start employment.
- Check the term and vacation dates for the period of the student's employment.
- Check the number of hours that an international student can work during term time and put measures in place to ensure that they do not work beyond this limit.
- Diarise ongoing right to work checks.
- Ensure that international students are not offered permanent full-time employment.
- Check if you are able to employ an international student with immigration permission during vacation periods.
- Understand the restrictions on an international student's right to undertake work placements.
- Consider options for employing students after the completion of their course.