How to manage an employee who has a personal hygiene issue
Author: Lynda Macdonald
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Resist the temptation to ignore a problem of lack of personal hygiene.
- Use honest, open, two-way communication to tackle the problem.
- Bear in mind that a problem of body odour or bad breath may be health related.
- Keep any discussions with the employee strictly private and confidential.
- Talk to the employee about the problem factually using plain language.
- Reassure the employee that the aim of the discussion is to help them solve a problem.
- Avoid telling the employee that other people have commented on the problem.
- Stress the importance of improvement while remaining sympathetic.