How to manage an employee who is absent due to sickness during pregnancy
Author: Claire Perry
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Understand the statutory protection afforded to employees who are absent due to pregnancy-related sickness.
- Establish the reason for the employee's absence.
- Review health and safety risk assessments in light of a pregnant employee's sickness absence.
- Ensure that pregnancy-related absence is discounted for the purpose of an attendance management policy that could lead to disciplinary action.
- Calculate the employee's entitlement to statutory and/or contractual sick pay.
- Check if the sickness absence affects the calculation of the employee's statutory maternity pay.
- Check if the employee's maternity leave will be triggered automatically as a result of their absence.