How to manage probationary periods
Author: Alison Frazer
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Decide on the appropriate length for a probationary period.
- Confirm in writing to an employee that they will be on probation.
- Take steps to ensure the best outcome of a probationary period.
- Be aware that employees on probation have the same statutory employment rights as other employees.
- Determine the contractual terms that will apply during a probationary period.
- Consider whether to extend the probationary period of an employee who has failed to complete it satisfactorily.
- Take care if an employee's failure to complete the probationary period satisfactorily might be connected to pregnancy, family-related leave or sickness.
- Confirm employees who have passed their probation in post.
- Comply with statutory and contractual notice obligations when terminating employment during a probationary period or on its expiry.