How to manage statutory paternity leave and pay (birth)
Author: Sue West
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Communicate paternity leave eligibility and notification requirements to all employees.
- Consider having a paternity leave policy.
- Check the employee's eligibility for statutory paternity leave and pay on receipt of the employee's notification.
- Consider requesting evidence of eligibility for paternity leave.
- Respond to the employee's notification.
- Calculate the employee's paternity pay.
- Be prepared for the employee to change the start date of the leave period.
- Consider how to cover the employee's work.
- Check that the employee has provided notification of the actual date of birth.
- Maintain appropriate records.