How to obtain and use medical reports on employees
Author: Lin Hinson
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Be consistent when deciding when to obtain a medical report and include trigger dates in an absence policy.
- Identify and record the purpose of obtaining a medical report and specify the legal basis for processing the employee's personal data under the GDPR.
- Remember that, in addition to complying with the GDPR, it is necessary to obtain the explicit consent of the employee under the Access to Medical Reports Act 1988.
- Consider which medical adviser to instruct to prepare a report.
- Provide the medical adviser with relevant information about the workplace and the employee.
- Keep in mind the purpose of the report when deciding which questions to ask.
- Ensure that the report is kept confidential and secure and ensure that only the relevant people have access to it.
- Discuss the contents of the report with the employee with a view to agreeing an action plan.
- Consider any reasonable adjustments suggested in the report and discuss these with the employee.
- Be aware of the requirements for a fair dismissal and the duty to comply with the disability provisions of the Equality Act 2010 if considering dismissing the employee for capability.