How to prepare for the end of the Brexit transition period
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Be aware that a transition period is now in place, until 31 December 2020, and during this period the right of free movement for UK nationals, and EEA nationals in the UK, will continue.
- Carry out an audit of the workforce to establish which employees are EEA nationals in the UK or British nationals in the EEA.
- Understand the settlement scheme for EEA nationals in the UK and the process for applying for settled or pre-settled status.
- Consider the position of employees on international assignments and international commuters in relation to qualification for settled status.
- Monitor the introduction of schemes for UK nationals working in the EEA to obtain the equivalent of settled status.
- Understand the Government's proposals for a new UK immigration regime and how this will impact the organisation at the end of the transition period.
- Consider the position of business travellers from 1 January 2021 and start to track employees' travel.
- Identify potential skills gaps and labour shortages and plan how to address these.
- Communicate with the workforce on the potential impact of Brexit and support available to employees.
- Consider providing assistance with applications for settled and pre-settled status, and the equivalent applications for UK nationals in the EEA.