How to protect against issues arising from employee email and internet use
Author: Tina Elliott
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Be aware of the legal risks involved in unauthorised use of email or the internet, and train employees in these risks.
- Have in place a policy on email and internet use.
- Ensure that the policy explains to what extent employees can make personal use of email and the internet.
- Inform employees that monitoring will take place and the extent of that monitoring.
- Explain restrictions on communicating personal or confidential information.
- Ensure that the policy sets out the consequences for breach of the rules, which should include disciplinary action.
- Be consistent in treatment when applying disciplinary measures.
- Make employees aware of whom they should contact if they have a complaint arising from email or internet use.
- Ask employees to sign a copy of the policy by way of acknowledgement and acceptance of its terms.