How to support a bereaved employee
Author: Christine Husbands, RedArc
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Ensure that managers and HR teams are mindful of the potential immediate and long-term effects of grief when dealing with a bereaved employee.
- Limit initial conversations with the employee to offering condolences and addressing immediate matters, but leave detailed discussions until a later date.
- Understand the limited right to statutory time off when someone dies.
- Follow the organisation's compassionate leave or bereavement leave policy, if there is one.
- Take into account the employee's particular circumstances and recognise that employees may need additional time off.
- Where the employee has access to external support services through an employee assistance programme or group insurance, ensure that they are aware of this.
- Discuss with the employee any temporary changes that they may need to their hours or role to enable them to return to work.
- Be aware that bereavement can have a long-lasting impact and that the employee may need ongoing flexibility and support.