How to support employees experiencing domestic violence and abuse
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Understand the potential impact of domestic violence on employees and on the organisation.
- Develop procedures to support employees experiencing domestic violence either as a separate initiative or by strengthening the organisation's existing policies.
- Publicise the support available to employees.
- Make provisions for special leave for, and reduced demands on, employees suffering domestic violence.
- Consider identifying named individuals, trained to offer appropriate support, to act as a confidential contact point for employees.
- Offer access to external counselling where needed.
- Provide appropriate guidance for line managers to enable them to support employees.
- Be aware of triggers for abuse and take steps to protect employees if they are working from home.
- Strengthen arrangements for security in the workplace, if necessary.