How to support employees experiencing the menopause
Author: Helen Rice-Birchall
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Understand the impact that menopausal symptoms can have on employees at work.
- Be aware of the risks of discrimination and unfair dismissal claims when managing an employee experiencing the menopause.
- Decide whether to introduce a standalone menopause policy or to incorporate the menopause into existing policies.
- Consider adjusting the absence policy when dealing with menopause-related absence.
- Make adjustments to the role or working conditions where this would address an employee's performance issues.
- Take steps to create a culture where managers and employees feel more comfortable talking about the menopause.
- Consider what practical support could be provided in the workplace to lessen the effects of the menopause, including relating to flexible working, breaks and uniforms.