How to write and amend an employee handbook
Author: Toni Trevett
Click on any of the hyperlinks to go to more detailed guidance below.
- Ensure that the handbook is accessible to all of your employees.
- Include a staff declaration and sections on employee rights, policies and procedures and staff benefits.
- Identify whether or not the staff handbook is incorporated into employment contracts.
- Be aware that including policies and procedures in an incorporated handbook could make them contractual.
- Remember that if a handbook is changed, employment contracts may need to be amended.
- Be aware that employees are more likely to support changes when they have been involved in the process.
- Consider whether or not any change requires agreement.
- Do not presume implied agreement nor that employees' silence amounts to their consent to a variation.