China: Equal opportunities
Original and updating author: Huimin (Laura) Wang, Squire Patton Boggs
See the legal services provided by the author of XpertHR International > China, including any discounts/offers for subscribers.
- Employers have a general obligation to provide employees with equal employment opportunities and equitable conditions of employment, and to avoid discriminatory employment practices, while employees have the right to be "employed on an equal basis". (See General)
- Employers must not recruit certain categories of people. (See Exemptions)
- Sexual harassment and harassment on certain grounds are prohibited. (See Harassment and sexual harassment)
- During the recruitment process, employers should give "appropriate additional consideration" to people from ethnic minorities. (See Positive action)
- Remedies for victims of discrimination, sexual harassment or harassment on the grounds of disability depend on the facts of the case and may include an award of damages against the employer, reinstatement or an order that the employer must make an apology. (See Remedies and penalties)