Paternity: Handle a paternity leave and pay request (birth situation)
When to use this paternity workflow
Use this paternity workflow when an employee informs you that he plans to take paternity leave in respect of a new baby that is expected shortly.
Eligible employees have the right to take either one or two consecutive weeks' paternity leave for the purpose of caring for their new son or daughter, around the time of the child's birth. They may also be entitled to receive statutory paternity pay.
- Check that the employee has given the required notice and satisfied the evidential requirements for paternity leave [and pay]
- Respond to the employee confirming his statutory paternity leave [and pay] arrangements
- Check that the employee has provided the child's actual date of birth
Key "What if...?" events
- What if? ... the child's mother has a miscarriage or stillbirth, or her baby dies after birth
- What if? ... the employee wants to change the start date of paternity leave