Pregnancy and maternity: Assess the risks to a pregnant employee
When to use this pregnancy and maternity workflow
Use this pregnancy and maternity workflow when an employee informs you that she is pregnant.
Employers have specific risk assessment duties in relation to pregnant employees. To ensure that a pregnant employee is not exposed to a risk to her health or that of her unborn child, the employer may have to alter her duties, offer suitable alternative employment or suspend her.
- Conduct a pregnancy risk assessment
- If the risk assessment has revealed a risk that cannot in itself be avoided or prevented, consider altering the employee's working conditions or hours of work
- If the risk cannot be avoided by altering the employee's working conditions or hours of work, offer the employee suitable alternative work, if available
- If there is no suitable alternative work available, suspend the employee and keep the suspension under review
Key "What if...?" events
- What if? ... the employee is a night worker and obtains a certificate stating that she should avoid night work