Redundancy: Conduct a redundancy process
When to use this redundancy workflow
Use this redundancy workflow where a business or workplace is closing, or there is a diminished need for employees to carry out work of a particular kind.
While redundancy is a potentially fair reason for dismissal, for a redundancy dismissal to be fair, there must be a genuine redundancy situation and the employer must follow a fair procedure in carrying out the dismissal, including consulting on an individual basis. The employer must also comply with its collective consultation obligations where these apply.
- Identify which employees are affected and determine the redundancy selection pool
- Determine the redundancy selection criteria
- Ascertain if collective redundancy consultation is necessary
- Hold individual redundancy consultation meetings
- Calculate the redundant employees' redundancy pay
Key "What if...?" events
- What if? … once notice of redundancy has been given the employer needs to retract it
- What if? … a potentially redundant employee is pregnant or on maternity leave