Derecognise a trade union

Key points

  • Where an employer voluntarily recognised a trade union, it can derecognise it at any time.
  • Where it recognised a union following a declaration by the Central Arbitration Committee (CAC), the employer may not derecognise the union until the prescribed period of time has elapsed.
  • An employer may apply to the CAC to derecognise a union on a number of grounds, including that it believes that the original bargaining unit (to which the collective bargaining arrangements relate) has ceased to exist.

XpertHR resources